Information in English: The Medical Association of Hesse
The Medical Association of Hesse (Landesärztekammer Hessen) is a public corporation for medical self-administration. It represents the interests of more than 39,000 physicians in the state of Hesse and acts as a supervising body based on the hessian law for health care professions (Hessisches Heilberufsgesetz).
Membership is compulsory for all physicians practising in Hesse and voluntary for those physicians who are no longer practising and permanently residing in Hesse.
The central organisation in the system of medical self-administration in Germany is the German Medical Association (Bundesärztekammer).
The Medical Association of Hesse is situated in Frankfurt am Main. In order to be able to guarantee good service for all members, we conduct six regional administrations (Bezirksärztekammern) in Darmstadt, Frankfurt, Gießen, Kassel, Marburg and Wiesbaden.
The assembly of delegates (Delegiertenversammlung) is the parliament and the highest legislative institution, consisting of 80 members elected by the members of the Medical Association of Hesse.
The executive committee (Präsidium) is the highest executive institution and consists of 11 members chaired by the president Dr. med. Edgar Pinkowski and the vice president Monika Buchalik. It leads the active business in cooperation with the full-time management board, prepares the conferences of the assembly of delegates and executes the assembly's decisions.
Special working groups (Ausschüsse) and commissions (Kommissionen) deal with specialised questions and aspects within the medical profession.
The supervising ministry of the Medical Association of Hesse is the Hessian Ministry for Social Affairs and Integration (Hessisches Ministerium für Soziales und Integration).
Our core tasks
According to the hessian law for health care professions (Hessisches Heilberufsgesetz), our core tasks are:
- Supervising the members of the Medical Association of Hesse in performing their professional duties.
- Fostering further medical education and continuous education as well as ruling continuous education.
- Realising the members' professional interests.
- Counselling political and administrative organs.
- Delivering expert reports on demand of responsible authorities and demoninating experts for courts of justice.
- Mediating conflicts between physicians and/or third parties.
- Organising the education and examination of medical assistants.
- Supporting the public health service.
- Fostering quality management in the public health sector.